If you have a fairly new laptop, it probably has built-in speakers, microphone, and webcam.
Use Your Laptop
Optional (Not required with your laptop, but useful)
- A second (external) video monitor.
- External speakers, depending on volume and quality of the built-in speakers.
Use Your PCIf you have a desktop PC, either a Windows PC or an Apple PC, then you need to add the speakers, microphone and camera that come with laptops today.
- (Minimum) Speakers and Microphone
[Or] headset with microphone
- (Optional) Speakers, Microphone, and Web cam
- (Best) Speakers, and Web cam with built-in Microphone
- Logitech C270 - I bought it on sale at Best Buy in July for $19.99 - skipped Amazon.com ($25)
- Logitech C310 - bought it from Best Buy over a year ago. The Best Buy price today is ($35).
The C310 is also available from Amazon ($32)
- Logitech C615 - this looks attractive for both price and capabilities. Available from Best Buy ($37 - on Sale last week in July) and Amazon ($37).
Use Google Hangouts
With: Laptop, PC - Windows or Apple
- Required: GMail.com account for Google.
Start by logging into either Gmail.com or your Google account page.
- Launch Google Hangouts (https://hangouts.google.com/); I consider Chrome as the best browser because Chrome is a Google Product and Hangouts is a Google web application. However, I have successfully used IE and Firefox.
- Initiate a video call,
- Invite someone by typing in their GMAIL address and click "Invite."
(My gmail address is RickJaggers@....)
Thanks, BTW, to Adam Lopez from teaching me this skill!