Web Development Specialist/Designer
(WWW Creator)Once someone has completed computer training, they need exposure to real-life applications. At A Better Computer, Inc., we occasionally bring someone on board to provide additional training.
- Our internship program is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment; the internship experience is for the benefit of the intern. Our training may include actual websites, which is an added opportunity.
- The intern, and his/her work, is under close supervision of existing staff, especially with with live sites, even though our operations may be occasionally impeded.
- The intern is not (necessarily) entitled to a job with us at the conclusion of the internship.
Because communication is important, an intern will create a
public blog to help focus his/her attention on goals and experiences. A Better Computer uses Blogger.com because Google provides the actual back-end
This introduces the concept of producing content for a website.The intern will learn the difference between content and presentation without the distraction of making a website from scratch.
The blog will go hand-in-hand in improving their professional LinkedIn profile.
The intern will be given the option to create a private blog, too, for taking notes and recording progress.
Everything on the Internet begins with a domain name; but surprisingly the name itself doesn't
really do anything!
(Domain Registration Dashboard)
The Intern will learn how to register a domain and "connect" it to their blog. This will involve identifying and configuring domain name server.
Continuing the communication theme, email and email accounts are very important. Here, the intern will learn how to create and leverage email forwarders.
The intern will learn how to manage (administer) the back end of a website.
- Email Forwarders and Accounts using cPanel
- Install Word Press (cPanel and manual installation)
WordPress DashboardStarting with the back end, explore best security practices and Wordfence settings.
- Wordpress help (wordpress.org, youtube.com)
- Plugin: child themify
- Themes - Finding (free) themes, installing and activating a theme, child themes
- Set up pages and posts
- Plugins - find, install, activate and configure
- Contact 7, calendar, weather
- Best practices
- Users Accounts
Mailing ListsSet up cPanel and Mailchimp lists; configure WordPress Plugins.
Mentoring - A few notesAn interesting read: Accountability
Why would anyone consider an unpaid internship? You are no longer unemployed!